Sunday, August 08, 2010

How I Do It


If there's one statement that I hear more than any other it's "I just don't know how you do it."

I've got three kids under 6, a husband who travels often for work, a big house, a big yard, a garden and a business that is growing by leaps and bounds.

My days are full of child care, cleaning, filing orders, developing new products and artwork, internet networking, business paperwork and all the usual household chores. Anyone who hears about my life and the things that I get done in one day, always utters those words... "I just don't know how you do it."

Just between you and me, I've got a secret weapon. No, it's not coffee or some illicit substance that gives me massive amounts of energy to get through the day. It's much simpler than that.

It's momentum.

Pure and simply, once I get going I just let the wave of activity wash over me. It seems that the more I get done, the more energy I produce to keep going. As the "done" list grows, my brain and body just kick in to top off with even more things to add to the list.

I fight the urge to sit down and take a break because it completely stops my flow of work. I find that I feel like taking a break not because I'm tired but more because it feels like a reward for finishing something. I've realized that I'd rather move on and get something else done than give myself a pat on the back and a rest on the couch!

Momentum gives me power.
Momentum gives me focus.
Momentum gives me energy.


But when I'm done... I'm. Done.

The excitement that I'm finding by accomplishing so many things in one day just feeds on itself. When I'm lying in bed at night, exhausted, my brain is still going... excited about the list of things for tomorrow.

So that's my secret. Momentum. I get motivated (as difficult as that may be sometimes) and then just ride it through, keeping continual momentum.

It's what works for me. What works for you? How do you do it?

** Photo by Kelsey LoveFusionPhoto via flickr Creative Commons

No comments: